Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Theatre of Dreams!








Hello All!



We traveled up the California coast for a Valentine weekend extravaganza! On Friday we met our friend's Mike and Sandy. They live in Carmel, and we met them for lunch at a place called The Cottage. (It's where the locals go)
My nephew Joey was making his Confirmation on Saturday, which was also Valentine's Day. Joey is the oldest son of my brother Tony. Tony and his wife Debi have 3 boys. All smart, cute, talented, and funny. We laughed the entire time.
It was a great time for our family. My mom, and aunt also traveled up as did my daughter Amanda, and her husband Joe. The Confirmation was lovely, followed by a family party.
On Sunday,after we had a birthday brunch for my aunt, my husband and I took off for a drive to Port Costa California, home of the beautiful, and famous artist Wendy Addison. I emailed Wendy a month ahead to find out if she would be there to open her amazing shop. Well, much to my happiness she was going to be there. From my brother's house it was a 40 minute drive. Up a winding two lane road to what looked like the middle of nowhere. As we finally approached the end of the road before the town of Port Costa, my eyes widened. The town looks like a place time forgot. It was like stepping back into Victorian times. It felt a little like a movie set,only real. Port Costa was a grain shipping area back in the late 1800's.
As you can see from the photos, the big yellow building was and is still a hotel.
The big faded green doors to Wendy's shop, the Theatre of Dreams. The garden area between her shop, and her workspace where she keeps her letterpress. It is where she is working on her wonderful new book, that I was lucky enough to purchase. It is a one of a kind first edition, all done by hand. Written, and illustrated by Wendy herself. My husband purchased one for me as my Valentine gift.
As we peeked in the window of the shop, there she was looking out at us. I said to my husband, I think that is her. I didn't recognize her new shorter haircut. She was so sweet, and adorable. She welcomed us in, took the time to show us around, and let me spend as much time looking as I wanted. Of course I had to do a little bit of shopping. She showed us the fairy theatre she made out of antique pieces, as well as the larger fairy theatre you see in the photo. I am telling you, it was so magical, it made you feel as though you just stepped into a fairytale. Even my husband was fascinated. The history of the town and the ambiance was just a wonderful experience.
I met 2 of Wendy's 4 cats. Very sweet! She took the time to take me next door to her workshop. It is where she creates her fabulous art. I couldn't believe I was standing in Wendy's workspace. See the stunned look on my face.
If you ever get the chance to go to Northern California, try to visit the Theatre of Dreams, you will love it. Wendy's shop is open by appointment or by chance.
Thank you Wendy!
Love,
Rosemary
PS, I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked. I think I was having too much fun, and kind of forgot. I also forgot to mention it was cold, and rainy the whole weekend, but who cares?

23 comments:

Wren Cottage said...

ohhhhh!!!!! I bet you were in heaven!!! So happy for you!! thank you for sharing the pic's and your experience of meeting Wendy and her shop!! I ate it all up ;)
you both look so cute :)
and a "way to go" for your dear hubby too!
xo Madai

Unknown said...

What a lovely place to visit! Thanks for sharing! The next time I am up that way I will know where to stop! :)

Simply Me Art said...

You Lucky Girl!! Looks like you had a Dreamy time.. Hope you finish laundry soon, Jamie.. Share more Pics too.

Valarie said...

Oh my goodness,,,,what an incredible Valentine's Day. I'm sure you will treasure your book forever. Have a wonderful week.
XXOO

MJ Ornaments said...

Oh you luckie duckie Rosemary! I've always been fascinated with Wendy's creations, and what an awesome book to get too. Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Take care,
Martha

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

ohh so excited to get to see the theatre of dreams!!! I bet you are still dreaming of glitter . ;))

xo Heather

Ginger said...

What a great trip up north.Didn't have a Time to drop by Valentines day to tell you Happy Valentine day.
Love you crowns on the crow exquisite!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello Rosemary! So nice of you to visit me again. So you went up to Carmel? My husband and I went there for 27 years ago for our honeymoon; I hope it is still the charming, enchanting place it was when we discovered it. I am from L.A. but I had never been "up north" until then. What magic. You have similar interests as myself...crowns rule! French rules!!!! Bonne journée! Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Ah! Great minds think alike...even though I have enough to do for my job as a French immersion teacher and grad student, I am also working on a crown and a puppet theatre! I will post my theatre when it is finished. How fun to have passions in the arts! Have a beautiful day, Rosemary! Anita

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

The Theater of Dreams must be a magical place, because I can feel that "sparkly" magic feeling all the way over here! What a treat to read about yer experiences & get-togethers.

By the bye, Rosemary...to add a Followers gadget...and I'm sure all yer readers wish this too!!!...go to your Customize--->Dashboard--->Laout--->Add and Arrange Page Elements--->Add a Gadget (will be on sidebar area)--->scroll down to Followers Gadget--->Click to Add---->once added, press SAVE button (usually ORANGE in color up in the right-hand area)--->it will Process--->you can then CLICK and DRAG the new page element to where you want it, I would suggest right below yer Etsy Shop Button. Click SAVE again...DONE

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What a wonderful vacation! And I've read about Wendy and her Theater of Dreams in Home Companion! How cool!
It looks like you had a marvelous time!

Unknown said...

My husband and I took our honeymoon in Carmel. I don't remember the name of our motel, but we stayed in the Hansel and Gretel Cottage. The master bedroom was in a loft overlooking a very large stone fireplace. It was charming! We also ate at the Hogs Breath Inn which was originally owned by Clint Eastwood. I'm not sure what the status of the place is now.

I can certainly understand why you had a ball! That store looks enchanting. I hope you take some photos of the book.

Hugs, KJ

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

I just love the old buildings,They arejust wonderful.i'm so happy you had a fab time and you are so lucky to recieve that book,How fantasic.Sweet hubby.Hugs Marie Antionette

Anonymous said...

Wow, you met the one & only Wendy Addison??? I am in awe. What an amazing opportunity!

Valarie said...

Hi Rosemary....I told Amber that I loved your blog, and that I got her name from you!!! Thanks for the recommendation. Have a wonderful weekend. XXOO

Sugar Bear said...

It all looks so wonderful!
Karla

Fete et Fleur said...

Wendy's shoppe is one of my favorites to travel to. It truly is magical!

Nancy

The Old Painted Cottage said...

So, so amazing, Rosemary! You lucky girl you. I'll have to stop by sometime and have a peek at that book.

oxox
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I am just now getting here to see this post, Rosemary and what a fabulous post it is. I can see how absolutely enchanting this place must be! Beautiful!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Lucky! I so want to do that, too. Wendy is such a creative spirit, stepping into her Theatre of Dreams must have been magical. :)
Lidy

Unknown said...

Oh what fun!! I would love to go to Wendy's Theatre of Dreams!! I know she is a huge inspiration to you and I am so glad you got to go!

Anonymous said...

Wendy's a doll. I was lucky enough to meet her at Tinsel Trading once. I know what you mean about the excitement of meeting someone like her. After all she's the Queen of Glass Glitter. What would we have done if she hadn't come along?

Dianna said...

I would LOVE to go to the Theatre of Dreams. Someday...
Dianna